Red bars, js errors (404 on Siren ping) = license issues?

I’m starting to get a lot of “License: could not verify license: [h] Unable to initialize job”
… red message bars at the top of Investigate.
(ES 6.8.5, federate and Siren 10.4.0)

This happens often, and the Chrome dev console shows that Siren is burping 404 to ‘ping’ requests, then the uncaught javascript error
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘license_content’ of undefined

So, for fun, I re-PUT the license again. Still red bars.
curl -XPUT -H ‘Content-Type: application/json’ -T license.json http://xxxxx:9200/_siren/license

BACKGROUND: recently, this 6-node cluster has been having a node go down, possibly due to heap issues/resource-exhaustion issues in java.

1 Like

opening xx:5606/session/ping gives

{“statusCode”:404,“error”:“Not Found”,“message”:"[h] Unable to initialize job 7597ee68-0ba6-485e-86a5-e96bc9040fc2 due to node request failures., with { suppressed={ 0={ type=“failed_node_exception” & reason=“Failed node [F7HEWZkMSM6amT0e1vYCBQ]” & node_id=“F7HEWZkMSM6amT0e1vYCBQ” } } }"}

Hi judge,

Can you please check the ElasticSearch Cluster Health status

curl -X GET “localhost:9200/_cat/health?v&pretty”

Also, please check if all the Elasticsearch nodes are up and running and cross-check the investigate.yml file to verify if it is pointing to correct ES nodes, please try restart of ES and Investigate. Moreover, if this is because of memory can you check the Xms (minimum heap size) and Xmx (maximum heap size) settings in jvm.options what is the size present. It should be 50 percent of the RAM of the server with a maximum value to 32 GB.

Regards
Manu Agarwal

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response… I can’t check it right now:

I just restarted that bad node, then started having problems with all nodes (log file errors). So, I restarted all the nodes.
There was a problem with a missing shard, so I DELETE’d the index and restored that index.

I’ll let them settle down, finish reallocation, then check them again.
If the Siren issue goes away: then the underlying node/shard issue was causing it … which was what I am assuming.

Just FYI … the javscript core to access “license_content” on a failed/undefined object, causing the Siren message of licensing issues distracted us for a while. I’m thinking … It’d be nice if Siren had the developers check the variable before assuming licensing is the issue.

OK – reloaded from snapshot and solved our underlying issue. Its clear this was a non-Siren issue, but that Siren’s license check simply goes to red when an undefined javacscript object is returned from a REST query.

Thanks!

epoch      timestamp cluster   status node.total node.data shards pri relo init unassign pending_tasks max_task_wait_time active_shards_percent
1591364995 13:49:55  sharktank green           6         6    438 201    2    0        0             0                  -                100.0%
1 Like

Great nice to hear it, We will check internally about the Siren’s license check simply goes to red when an undefined JavaScript object is returned from a REST query.